- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium eggplant, cut in 1" cubes
- 2 to 3 medium zucchini, halved & sliced 1/2"
- 1 large onion, sliced thinly
- 12 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 plum tomatoes, sliced 1/4" thick
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- salt and pepper, to taste
Toss eggplant and zucchini with the 1 teaspoon of salt. Place in a large colander over a bowl to drain for about 1 hour. Drain and squeeze excess moisture out. In a large skillet over medium heat, saute onion, eggplant, zucchini, and mushrooms until slightly tender. In the slow cooker/Crock Pot, layer 1/3 of the vegetables (including sliced tomatoes), 1/3 of the the tomato sauce. and 1/3 of the cheese. Sprinkle with oregano, salt and pepper. Repeat layering 2 more times. Cover and cook on low 6 to 8 hours. Serve over rice, pasta, or other grain.