- large sweet onion, chopped1 piece
- medium carrot, chopped1 piece
- celery rib, chopped1 piece
- chopped green pepper1/2 cups
- garlic clove, minced1 piece
- olive oil2 tablespoons
- diced tomatoes, undrained2 cans
- honey2 tablespoons
- chili powder1 teaspoons
- salt1/4 teaspoons
- pepper1/4 teaspoons
- bay leaf1 piece
- eggs8 piece
- shredded Cheddar cheese1/2 cups
In a large skillet, saute the onion, carrot, celery, green pepper and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in the tomatoes, honey, chili powder, salt, pepper and bay leaf. Simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until thickened. Discard bay leaf.
With a spoon, make eight indentations in the tomato mixture. Break eggs into indentations. Cover and cook over low heat for 10 minutes or until whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken. Sprinkle with cheese; cover and cook until cheese is melted, about 1 minute.