- 18 slices soft white bread
- 3 tablespoons soft bread crumbs
- 1 (5-ounce) can chunk white chicken or 3/4 cup minced cooked chicken
- 1/4 cup roasted shelled Virginia type peanuts
- 1/4 cup minced green onion
- 1/8 teaspoon 5-spice powder or Allspice
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- Dash pepper
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 egg yolk, slightly beaten
Remove crusts from bread; cover with a damp towel or plastic wrap to keep soft. Make crumbs from crusts by putting a few at a time into a blender. Combine 3 tablespoons bread crumbs with chicken, peanuts, green onion, 5-spice powder, curry powder, sugar, pepper, soy sauce, and parsley; mix well. Roll bread slices very thin with a rolling pin. Cut each square in half, place a teaspoon of chicken mixture on each piece. Brush edges of bread with egg yolk; fold in half to form a square. Pinch to seal, trimming if necessary.
NOTE: May be made ahead of time and refrigerated or frozen. Keep squares covered to prevent drying. In deep fryer, fry 3 or 4 at a time, turning once until desired browness is reached (about 2 minutes). Remove from oil and drain on absorbent paper. Repeat until all squares are cooked. May be served with mustard sauce.
Makes about 36