- 2 pounds of fish fillets
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup beer
- 3 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 2 tablespoons salt, divided
- 2 teaspoons black pepper, divided
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, divided, or to taste
- 3 cups fine yellow corn flour*
- vegetable oil or shortening for deep frying
In a mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, beer, mustard, Tabasco, and half of the salt and peppers. Cut fish fillets into bite sized pieces, or nuggets. Place fish in egg mixture, coating well; cover, refrigerate, and let soak for about 1 hour.
Mix corn flour with the remaining salt and peppers in a shallow, wide bowl or pie plate. Preheat oil in deep fryer to about 370ºF.
Remove fish from mixture and dredge with corn flour mixture. Fry fish until the fish nuggets float to the surface and turn golden brown, taking care not to overcook.
Place fish nuggets on paper towels to drain, patting gently with paper towels to blot up excess oil. Use this batter to fry shrimp, oysters, and other shellfish.